News (Proprietary)
1.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > seven-networks-parliament-house-bureau-in-canberra-officially-open-c-20635708

Seven Network’s Parliament House Bureau in Canberra officially open

2+ week, 5+ day ago (465+ words) The Seven Network's brand-new Parliament House bureau has been officially opened by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in Canberra tonight. The original bureau, which was largely untouched since Parliament House opened in 1987, has undergone a significant transformation " doubling in size through the addition of a neighbouring suite " and now has a studio that'll be capable of hosting interview programs and live broadcasts when the biggest news breaks in Canberra. Among the attendees at the official opening were Treasurer, Jim Chalmers; Leader of the Opposition, Sussan Ley; Seven West Media Chairman, Kerry Stokes AC; SGH Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Ryan Stokes AO; Seven West Media Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Jeff Howard; and Seven's Director of News and Current Affairs, Ray Kuka. Seven West Media Chairman, Kerry Stokes AC, said: "Our new Canberra bureau is a powerful statement about…...

2.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > sport > motorsport > how-to-watch-supercars-grand-final-live-and-free-on-channel-7-and-7plus-c-20788686

Watch Supercars grand final live and free on Seven and 7plus

2+ day, 5+ hour ago (401+ words) The 2025 Supercars championship will reach its spectacular conclusion with the inaugural grand final live and free on Seven and 7plus Sport on Saturday and Sunday. Broc Feeney, Chaz Mostert, Will Brown and Kai Allen remain in the hunt for the title, setting up a high-stakes showdown on the unforgiving streets of Adelaide. Seven's coverage begins at 1pm AEDT on Saturday and Sunday headlined by two 78-lap races. Scroll down for all the broadcast times and details. Veteran motorsport expert and Sunrise sport presenter Mark Beretta will broadcast live from Adelaide alongside Supercars co-driver and 7Motorsport host Jack Perkins and rally champion Molly Taylor. Supercars icons Mark Skaife and Neil Crompton will lead from the commentary box with Garth Tander, Mark Larkham, Chad Neylon and Riana Crehan reporting from pit lane. "It all comes down to Adelaide. After a season packed with twists, shocks…...

3.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > bureau-of-meteorology-fires-back-at-criticism-of-its-alerts-ahead-of-wild-queensland-storms-c-20790576

BOM wades into new firestorm amid claims of ‘muddled’ storm advice

4+ day, 14+ hour ago (735+ words) Australia's national weather agency has hit back at claims it delivered "muddled" warnings that came too late for people in the path of dangerous superstorms. Already weathering criticism over its $96.5 million website overhaul, the Bureau of Meteorology has responded to comments arguing the agency "sat on its hands" before giant hail and cyclonic winds swept Queensland's southeast on Monday, damaging homes, forcing the closure of public transport and schools and leaving more than 162,000 properties without power. The bureau took to social media on Tuesday with an example of the huge hail clumps that battered parts of the region, but some used the post to take aim, saying: "you missed the warnings, BOM." "Too little too late and what was given was muddled," one person said. "I watched these storms develop and come through with hail on the Gold Coast hinterland…...

4.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > dementia-overtakes-heart-disease-as-australias-leading-cause-of-death-c-20679733

Australia has a new leading cause of death

2+ week, 21+ hour ago (278+ words) Dementia has overtaken heart disease to become the leading cause of death in Australia, with new data revealing the devastating impact of degenerative brain diseases on the nation. Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) figures show 17,500 Australians died from dementia-related conditions last year, marking a significant shift in the country's mortality patterns. WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Dementia now Australia's biggest killer Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Arrow The data reveals dementia now accounts for 9.4 per cent of all deaths across Australia, highlighting the growing burden of the disease on families and the healthcare system. Those who died from dementia had an average age of 88, reflecting the condition's prevalence among Australia's ageing population. "People are now more likely to live to an age where they have a higher risk of developing dementia," said ABS head of mortality statistics Lauren…...

5.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > bom-blowout-sunrise-host-nat-barr-grills-labor-minister-tanya-plibersek-over-96-million-weather-site-redesign-c-20774597

Sunrise host grills Labor minister over staggering cost of new BOM website

6+ day, 4+ hour ago (742+ words) Sunrise presenter Nat Barr has fired up over the "frustrating" cost of the new Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) website during a heated morning debate. BOM chief executive Stuart Minchin, who is two weeks into the job, revealed in an open letter that the new site cost $96.5m. Speaking with Social Services Minister Tanya Plibersek and Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce, Barr asked how the federal government could justify the price tag. "Can you justify spending almost $100m for a new website that nobody asked for?" Barr asked. Plibersek, who was also the former environment minister overseeing the BOM from 2022 up until earlier this year, said the new website, which took six years to build, didn't deliver. "I don't think the new website has been a good exercise for the Bureau of Meteorology," Plibersek told Sunrise. "An unpopular website that doesn't tell people the…...

6.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > bureau-of-meteorology-boss-stuart-minchin-comes-to-defence-of-96-million-bill-to-upgrade-website-c-20787730

Bureau of Meteorology boss defends eye-watering cost of new website

5+ day, 1+ hour ago (430+ words) The newly minted boss of Australia's national weather agency has tried to shut down a brewing political storm over its $96.5 million website overhaul. Bureau of Meteorology chief executive Stuart Minchin, who is two weeks into the job, defended the cost on Tuesday, saying the website redesign was part of a broader system overhaul prompted by a 2015 cyber-attack. He says improvements are under way to help users navigate the site, including a new rain radar shortcut expected to appear on the homepage by the end of the week. "(The cost) has been quite open within the bureau and it's part of a larger program," Minchin told ABC Radio National on Tuesday. "I can commit that [as] I am taking the helm of the bureau, I wanted to make that as transparent as possible and be open and honest with the Australian…...

7.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > optus-ceo-stephen-rue-faces-senate-inquiry-resists-calls-to-resign-after-triple-zero-outage-linked-to-three-deaths-c-20558313

Optus boss resists calls to resign after triple-zero outage linked to deaths

3+ week, 6+ day ago (475+ words) Optus Chief Executive Stephen Rue has pushed back against calls for his sacking over a triple-zero outage linked to the deaths of three people. The telco's top executives faced tough questioning at a Senate inquiry on Monday, which is probing the September outage that prevented more than 600 emergency calls from connecting for more than 12 hours. Rue said Optus accepted full responsibility, describing the event as "unacceptable, but argued his resignation would not help the company or its customers. "As the CEO, I'm accountable for Optus's failings. and I'm deeply sorry. We are all deeply sorry, he said. "I firmly believe that another change of leader at this time is not what Optus needs or what our customers need. "The disruption and uncertainty could actually set back the transformation underway and create further risks. Rue said the outage was caused by…...

8.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > sport > afl > 2026-afl-fixture-reveal-hawthorn-adelaide-and-geelong-dominate-primetime-but-brisbane-disrespected-c-20663029

Three clubs score big but powerhouse shown ’disrespect’

2+ week, 3+ day ago (1570+ words) Hawthorn are set to dominate primetime viewing in 2026 with the AFL revealing the "Hollywood Hawks" will feature in eight Thursday or Friday night games by the end of Round 15. Along with the Hawks, the AFL is chips in on Adelaide and Geelong, with both clubs also set to feature in eight games in the primetime slots. Scroll to see the full AFL fixture. Surprisingly, the Western Bulldogs and Carlton " who both missed finals this year " will appear in seven Thursday or Friday night games by the end of Round 15 but reigning premiers Brisbane only have three. "Nine teams having more games than the Brisbane on Thursday and Friday Nights in the first 15 rounds is a bit disrespectful to the back-to-back champs," said Channel 7 AFL expert Kane Cornes. "And they get the bonus of heading to the Barossa Valley for Gather…...

9.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > 7news-live-updates-flight-warning-as-semeru-volcano-in-indonesia-erupts-child-found-in-box-after-shepparton-car-theft-c-20734548

Police probe link between kidnapping of grandmother and gangland shooting

1+ week, 3+ day ago (877+ words) We'll be delivering the latest on major crime, traffic and weather news throughout the morning and everything you might've missed last night. The alleged owner of an unlawful end of life business has been hit with more charges. The 53-year-old Gold Coast man charged with aiding the suicide of a 43-year-old man found in a toxicology report to have died with a veterinary euthanasia drug in his system in April. The business owner now also faces charges of aiding suicide in relation to the death of a 75-year-old man in Ashmore in January last year, Queensland Police said on Thursday. The Gold Coast man is also now accused of falsely claiming to be qualified solicitor and charging unauthorised fees for estate planning and end-of-life services. The man faces a large number of drug offence charges, with some of the latest…...

10.
7NEWS
7news.com.au > news > adrian-portelli-gifts-100000-to-south-australian-woman-who-missed-out-on-35m-lcmt-home-giveaway-c-20791592

Adrian Portelli gifts ‘winner’ six-figure sum after losing out on $3.5m mansion

4+ day, 19+ hour ago (446+ words) A South Australian woman who lost out on a multimillion-dollar mansion after failing to realise she was ineligible to win Adrian Portelli's hugely popular LCMT+ lottery has been given a cash gift by the billionaire. Donna, from Murray Bridge, last week won the $3.5 million renovated mansion as part of the reality show The Block. However, LCMT+ does not have the correct licence in SA for her to be eligible for the major prize. Portelli took to Facebook on November 19 to announce there would need to be a redraw for the mansion due to South Australia's strict gambling laws not allowing her to take home the major prize. Portelli doesn't hold a licence to operate his giveaways in South Australia, which is written in his terms and conditions. South Australians remain fully able to buy tickets, however, with no location lock…...

News & Web (General)